Raw cashew is one the fundamental ingredients in a plant-based cuisine. Not only because it provides the creamy structure of pâtés, soups, desserts but because it is extremely nutritious and contains the good fats.
- 1 cup of soaked raw cashew nuts (I also added a few drops of probiotics in the soaking water to get rid of the bad bacteria)
- about 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of probiotics
- Drain the cashews and place them in a blender.
- Put everything in a blender and mix it at high speed until you get a smooth mixture.
- Place the mixture in a cheesecloth and press the liquid out. I placed mine in a colander and placed a heavy item on top. Let it rest for overnight or for a day. During this time the fermentation will begin.
- Wrap the “cheese” in parchment paper and keep it in the refrigerator for at least one month. The longer the better. Enjoy & share it!
In a kitchen you can find any heavy or light objects for your need. This is how I had my cashew “cheese” in a colander with a copper kitchen mortar on top.